Taking screenshot on Mac or Windows is quite essential for everyone nowadays. Creating manual or tutorial, for example, will be a lot easier to understand if you include some screenshots in the steps.
Or, when you need to take some specific information from a website without losing its authenticity, screenshot can be pretty useful.
Moreover, some apps are able to go beyond, like recording screen. It would me more beneficial for creating a short tutorial video.
But, which screenshot app is the best?
In this post, we will share 10 best apps to screenshot on Mac and Windows.
Plus, you will learn how to take a screenshot on Mac, Windows, and Chromebook.
Let’s dive right in!
10 Best Apps to Screenshot on Mac and Windows
Lightshot is one of the best apps to screenshot on Mac, Windows, and browsers like Chrome and Firefox. It is light, simple, and free.
Here are some things you can do with Lightshot:
- Create custom keys for fast screenshot shortcut.
- Share screenshot easily through the internet.
- Search similar image quickly.
- Edit the screenshot before saving: cropping, drawing arrows, lines, text, rectangle, etc.
- Copy or save the image.
2. Snipping Tool
As a Windows user, you can take a screenshot using Snipping Tool. It’s a default program on Windows 10, 8.1, and 7. It has a quite complete feature that allows you to do simple editing.
Snipping Tool lets you:
- Take screenshots on your desktop and the opened windows.
- Annotate your images: adding texts, lines, shapes, etc.
- Share your image with one click.
- Edit your images: cropping, resizing, etc.
- Print your images.
To run Snipping Tool on Windows, do the instructions below:
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard.
- Type Snipping Tool in the Search box.
- Select Snipping Tool from the list of results.
Greenshot is another alternative software for taking screenshots on Windows. It’s free and lightweight like Lightshot.
With Greenshot, you are able to:
- Take quick screenshots of full screen, selected window or area, and a full page from the browser.
- Edit and annotate the screenshot.
- Send and share the screenshot via email, Picasa, Flickr, etc.
- and more
Unfortunately, it only works on Windows computers.
Like Greenshot? Support them here.
Another simple and excellent tool to take a screenshot on Mac and Windows is Snagit. It’s not only able to capture your computer screen, but it’s also able to record your screen activities.
With its great ability, you can use it to create a tutorial for your colleagues or students. Or, you can use it to record meetings, webinars, or lectures for future listening. The sound and quality are good though.
Here are what you can do with Snagit:
- Record screen, audio, and webcam.
- Copy the text from the screenshot and paste it into documents.
- Take a panoramic or scrolling screenshot for web pages.
- Create an animated GIF from the short recording.
- Record your iPhone or iPad screen.
- Add texts, lines, shapes using the professional markup tools.
- and more
If you are doing remote work that communicates through email, slack, or other similar platforms, Snagit is a must-have tool.
Compatibility: Windows and Mac
PicPick is another screenshot tool that you need to consider, especially for graphic designers.
What makes PicPick is quite different from other screenshot tools is its support for graphic editing. It has a quite complete feature that will help you edit and custom your screenshot files as you want.
Here are some editing features of PicPick that you can use:
- Color Picker lets you know the code of selected color.
- Color Palette provides a range of colors that you can use.
- Magnifier helps you see the pixels to get the exact color.
- Pixel Ruler allows you to measure the objects.
- CrossHair helps you to get the coordinate.
- Protractor helps you measure the angle of the object.
- WhiteBoard provides a blank space for you to draw or write text on the screen.
Since PicPick is developed by Microsoft, its user interface is similar to MS Words. If you are a Windows user, you might not find difficulties in using this tool.
Plus, it has great support with MS Office. You can easily share and send the screenshot via MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, e-mail, Skype, and many more.
However, excellent quality comes at a good price. To use PicPick along with its features, you need to purchase $29.99 for individuals, $124.95 for teams of 5 people, and $1,950 for unlimited installation in one site.
ShareX is a FREE screenshot tool because it’s open source. Even though it’s free, it doesn’t have annoying advertisements.
ShareX is powerful and has quite complete features like PicPick.
Here are what you can do with the ShareX screenshot Windows tool:
- Capture full screen, region, window app or menu, and scrolling screenshot.
- Upload and share images and folders with shorten URL.
- Edit, annotate, and add effects to your images.
- Convert video.
- and more
So, ShareX is the best alternative if you want a screenshot Windows 10/8/7 tool that is as great as PicPick.
Price: Free (Donate here)
TinyTake is a simple screenshot and recording tool that works both on Mac and Windows.
With TinyTake, you are able to take a screenshot or record activities in a full window or selected area only. You can also add voice to the video in case you need to add some explanations. The video can be from 5 to 120 minutes long.