You can update Surface Dock 2 firmware and drivers automatically and manually.
Surface Dock 2 is a docking station for Microsoft Surface laptops. It has the same ports as the previous version and is compatible with Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book. It allows you to connect an external monitor and other accessories to your Surface laptop.
The Surface Dock 2 has a new design that is more compact and streamlined. It also comes with an optional USB-C port on the back of it.
To keep your Surface Dock 2 always in its best performance, you need to update firmware and drivers regularly.
Thus, check out these 2 easy ways to update the firmware and drivers of your Surface Dock 2.
2 Easy Ways to Update Surface Dock 2 Firmware and Drivers
- Make sure that you have a fast and stable internet connection.
- Connect your Surface laptop and Surface Dock 2 to the power socket and your Surface laptop should have at least a 40% battery charge before proceeding with the methods below.
Option 1: Automatic update
Updating the Surface dock 2 is super easy. You only need to connect the dock to your Surface. If you set up your Surface to receive updates automatically, it will automatically install the latest firmware and drivers of your dock.
Or, you can go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. Then, click Check for updates. If any firmware and drivers updates are available for your Surface dock 2, Windows will download and install them automatically.
Option 2: Manual update using Surface Tools for IT
If you’re an IT person who wants to update a lot of docks quickly, you can download the Surface Dock updater tool from the Microsoft Download Center.
1. Install the Surface Dock updater utility and follow the on-screen instructions. We recommend that you do not attach any monitors or accessories to the Surface Dock during this phase. It is important to note that the dock must stay powered on throughout this process.
2. When you start the tool, it will check to see if the device is connected to a Surface Dock 2. You can choose to go ahead and update if it isn’t.
4. Connect the Surface Dock 2 to your Surface device. It will let you know right away if your Surface Dock 2 has the most up-to-date firmware and drivers. If it isn’t, the tool gives you the option to proceed with the update.
5. You are then informed that you must detach the Surface Dock 2 from the device twice throughout the update procedure.
6. Then, press OK to continue.
7. The Surface Dock updater begins the process of updating the Surface Dock 2’s firmware and drivers. The first portion of the firmware will have finished uploading to the dock when the progress bar reaches 50%.
8. The Surface Dock 2 will then be asked to be disconnected from the Surface laptop. Disconnecting the Surface Dock 2 will start installing the update of the firmware and drivers. It merely takes a few seconds to apply this section of the firmware and drivers.
9. Then, you are advised to reconnect the Surface Dock 2 to the device. The second phase of the firmware upload can then begin.
10. When the progress meter reaches 100%, the tool will notify you that the firmware and drivers have been successfully uploaded to the dock.
In order for the latest firmware and drivers to be installed, you will be required to disconnect the dock from your device once more.
When you disconnect, you’ll be notified that the update will take three minutes.
If you have another dock to update, select Update Another Surface Dock.
If you opt to update firmware and drivers on another Surface Dock, keep the current Surface Dock powered on until the LED and Ethernet cord stop blinking.
The flashing LED indicates that the update is ongoing.
When the LED light and Ethernet cord stop blinking, you can disconnect the Surface Dock 2 and change it with another dock that you want to update.
One more tip.
When the update process is done, you can check to see if the update worked by reconnecting the Surface Dock 2. You’ll see a message saying, “You have the latest firmware for this Surface Dock.”
And, that’s it.
If you have any queries or need some help, don’t hesitate to contact Support.
READ OTHER SURFACE TIPS: