You can update Surface Dock 2 firmware and drivers automatically and manually.
Surface Dock 2 is a docking station for Microsoft Surface laptops. It has the same ports as the previous version and is compatible with Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book. It allows you to connect an external monitor and other accessories to your Surface laptop.
The Surface Dock 2 has a new design that is more compact and streamlined. It also comes with an optional USB-C port on the back of it.
To keep your Surface Dock 2 always in its best performance, you need to update firmware and drivers regularly.
Thus, check out these 2 easy ways to update the firmware and drivers of your Surface Dock 2.
2 Easy Ways to Update Surface Dock 2 Firmware and Drivers
- Make sure that you have a fast and stable internet connection.
- Connect your Surface laptop and Surface Dock 2 to the power socket and your Surface laptop should have at least a 40% battery charge before proceeding with the methods below.
Option 1: Automatic update
Updating the Surface dock 2 is super easy. You only need to connect the dock to your Surface. If you set up your Surface to receive updates automatically, it will automatically install the latest firmware and drivers of your dock.
Or, you can go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. Then, click Check for updates. If any firmware and drivers updates are available for your Surface dock 2, Windows will download and install them automatically.
Option 2: Manual update using Surface Tools for IT
If you’re an IT person who wants to update a lot of docks quickly, you can download the Surface Dock updater tool from the Microsoft Download Center.
1. Install the Surface Dock updater utility and follow the on-screen instructions. We recommend that you do not attach any monitors or accessories to the Surface Dock during this phase. It is important to note that the dock must stay powered on throughout this process.
2. When you start the tool, it will check to see if the device is connected to a Surface Dock 2. You can choose to go ahead and update if it isn’t.
4. Connect the Surface Dock 2 to your Surface device. It will let you know right away if your Surface Dock 2 has the most up-to-date firmware and drivers. If it isn’t, the tool gives you the option to proceed with the update.
5. You are then informed that you must detach the Surface Dock 2 from the device twice throughout the update procedure.
6. Then, press OK to continue.