Using Migration Assistant, you can transfer data from your old Mac to your new Mac quickly. It’s the fastest way to set up your new iMac or Mac Studio.
Did you just purchase the new Mac Studio or iMac? Then, it’s time to set up the device.
But do you know that you can do it faster?
You don’t have to manually transfer your previous Mac’s documents, programs, user accounts, and settings to the new one.
Migration Assistant is here to assist you.
What is a Migration Assistant?
Migration Assistant is a smart feature on your Mac that allows you to transfer data, user accounts, computer settings, and apps from one Macintosh computer to another, or from a full disk backup. It may also migrate contacts, calendars, email accounts, and other items.
Migration Assistant can be used during the initial setup of a new computer or executed manually on an already configured system. It can be used repeatedly to duplicate only applications, user accounts, or settings. Its major function is to copy the information and configuration of an existing computer user account(s) onto a new one.
Does Migration Assistant also transfer the operating system from the old Mac?
The Migration Assistant does not migrate the old computer’s operating system to the new one. Similarly, apps and utilities bundled by Apple with the operating system (for example, Safari) are not transferred, assuming that the newer computer already has the same or a newer version installed. However, these programs’ settings (for example, bookmarks) are copied.
We’ll teach you how to get ready for Migration Assistant and how to use it.
Let’s get ready.
How to Transfer Data from Your Old Mac to New iMac or Mac Studio
Step 1 Preparing the Migration Assistant
As mentioned, Migration Assistant will create a copy of the data you want to move from your old Mac to your new one.
Do the following steps to prepare the Migration Assistant on your old Mac:
1. Prepare the administrator password of your old Mac.
2. Place your old Mac and new Mac near each other. Also, make sure that they are connected to the power source.
3. Turn on the Wi-Fi, as the Migration Assistant will use it to transfer the data.
Step 2 Using the Migration Assistant
1. Power on your new iMac or Mac Studio to start the setup.
2. Follow the instructions on the screen until you see the Migration Assistant window.
3. Select From a Mac, Time Machine or Startup disk when you see a question, How do you want to transfer your information?
4. Click Continue.
5. On your old Mac, go to Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant.