Learn how to create a USB recovery drive for Surface to fix problems on your laptop as well as reset it to the factory settings.
Microsoft Surface laptops are great devices that offer a lot of features. But they are not without their faults. One of the most common problems is the inability to boot up your laptop and you need to create a USB recovery drive to fix this problem.
What do you need to create a USB recovery drive?
You will need to prepare an empty USB drive with at least 16 GB in size to store the recovery image. If you still have any important data on your USB drive, it’s better to backup them to your computer because all data in your USB drive will be erased completely.
In addition, make sure that your USB drive is using FAT32 format. If possible, use a USB 3.0 drive for it has a fast reading and writing process.
Once everything is set, let’s try it!
How to Create a USB Recovery Drive for Surface Pro & Laptop
Method 1: Create a USB Recovery Drive using a Downloaded Factory Image
Note: Use this method if you want to install a fresh copy and restore your device to the factory settings.
1. Download a recovery image for your Surface model from your PC. The file should be in a .zip format.
2. Plug the USB drive into the USB port on your PC.
3. Go to Start > recovery drive > Create a recovery drive or Recovery Drive.
4. If prompted, enter the admin password and confirm your selection.
5. Click Yes in the User Account Control box.
6. Uncheck the Back up system files to the recovery drive and click Next.
7. Choose your USB drive and click Next.
8. Then, wait until the USB recovery drive is ready and click Finish.
9. Find the recovery image that you downloaded earlier and extract the zip file.
10. Select and copy all the extracted files from the recovery image folder. Then, paste them into the USB recovery drive that you created earlier.
11. Select Choose to replace the files in the destination if prompted.
Option 2: Create your own USB Recovery Drive
Note: Use this method if you want to create a backup system for your Surface laptop. Later, you can use it to recover or refresh your Surface when it’s got a problem.
1. Plug your USB drive into your Surface.
2. Turn on your Surface and log in to Windows.
3. Swipe in from the right side of the screen and tap Search.
4. Type recovery and select Create a recovery drive from the results list.
5. Tap Yes when the Use Account Control dialogue appears on your screen.
6. Check Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive and select Next.
7. Choose the USB drive that you are going to use for the recovery drive and tap Next.
8. Select Create. The copying progress will take about 15 minutes to complete. Keep your Surface awake during the progress.
9. After it’s finished, select Delete the recovery partition to delete the recovery tools from your Surface. It will free up some space in your Surface, though. Or, select Finish to keep the recovery info on your Surface.
10. Disconnect the USB drive and it’s ready as a USB recovery drive.
Since your USB flash drive is used as a recovery drive, you should not use it to store any data.
Those were how to create a USB recovery drive for your Surface Pro and laptop. We suggest you prepare one as you never know what will happen to your Surface. Moreover, we recommend you choose method two since it also carries the backup settings of your current operating system.
However, if you prefer to refresh the system and reset your Surface Pro or Laptop to the factory settings, use method one.
For queries, Contact Support.
NEXT SURFACE TIPS: