To prevent your data from being lost, we suggest you back up your iPhone to your iCloud or computer regularly. It’s pretty easy to do. We’ll guide you on how to do it step by step.
One benefit of backing up your iPhone is, you can use the backup file to transfer your information to your new device.
Without further ado, let’s learn how to back up your iPhone to iCloud or computer.
How to Back up iPhone to iCloud or Computer
Back up iPhone to iCloud
1. Open Settings
2. Tap your name
3. Tap iCloud
4. Select iCloud Backup
5. Turn on iCloud Backup
From now on, the iCloud will automatically back up the data on your iPhone when your device is connected to power, Wi-Fi, or being locked.
To do a manual backup on iCloud, just tap Back Up Now.
If your device supports 5G network, you may be able to back up your iPhone via the cellular network. To do this, navigate to Settings > your name > iCloud > iCloud Backup and turn on Backup Over Cellular.
If you want to see your iCloud backups, go to Settings > your name > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups. It is also possible to remove a backup file that is no longer needed. Select the backup that you want to delete and tap Delete Backup.
Back up iPhone to Mac using Finder
Note: macOS 10.15 or later is required.
1. Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable.
2. Open the Finder by pressing Cmd + N.
3. Select your iPhone on the left pane and click Trust (If it is the first time you connect your iPhone to your Mac).
4. Go to the top of the Finder window, select General.
5. Click on Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac.
6. Choose Encrypt local backup if you want to secure your backup data with a password.
7. Type a password and verify your password. Then, hit Set Password.
8. Select Back Up Now.
9. Enter your passcode on your iPhone and the backup will start immediately.
The backup will be stored locally on your Mac. When the backup is completed, you will see a changed date on the “Last backup to iCloud.”
Back up iPhone to Mac using iTunes
1. Connect your iPhone to Mac using a cable.
2. Launch iTunes on your Mac.
3. At the top left of iTunes, tap the iPhone icon.
4. Click Summary.
5. Click This Computer to store the backup file on your Mac.
6. Choose Encrypt local backup if you want to protect your backup.
7. Type a password, verify, and hit Set Password.
8. Choose Back Up Now.
Back up iPhone using Windows PC
1. Connect iPhone to your PC using a cable.
2. Open iTunes and select iPhone.
3. Select Summary.
4. Choose This Computer.
5. Choose Encrypt local backup if you want to protect your backup.
6. Type a password, verify and hit Set Password.
7. Select Back Up Now.
What does iCloud back up?
Apple will save important information when you perform a backup. Here’s what the backup includes:
- App data
- Apple Watch backups
- Device settings
- Home screen and app organization
- iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
- Photos and videos
- Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books
- Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)
However, some information like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos, Messages in iCloud, iCloud Photos, and shared photos will not be added during backup. It’s because they are already stored in the iCloud.